ADD EVENT: to suggest an event for our calendar, click here to enter the details. To be fair only general election events for candidates may be accepted for the 8th CD calendar, with the exception of official primary candidates for Congress in the 8th Congressional district.
- This event has passed.
January 2017 Special Elections: SD9, SD22, HD85
January 10, 2017 @ 6:00 am - 7:00 pm
Following the November election, there are two open seats in Virginia’s Senate, Districts 9 and 22, and one in the House of Delegates, District 85. The Governor called for special elections on Tuesday, January 10 to fill these seats. Turnout is the key to winning these races since most voters won’t be aware of this special election.
Elections have consequences, and we’ve had our 2016 setbacks. We’re more than fired up about how to set the world straight again. What to do? Make sure to help these win elections NOW.
Remember Wednesday, November 9, 2016 and the whole world was stunned? Don’t ask yourself what even one little thing you might have done to help win these special elections. So … thank you in advance for every little effort you can make.
HOW TO HELP
- If you live in any of these 3 districts plan to vote (Special Election Day or absentee), and get ALL of your Democratic friends, neighbors, and family to vote too.
- Anyone, anywhere can volunteer for a campaign, just contact the campaign (info below) to see how (canvass, virtual phone bank, be at the poll, etc.).
- EVERYONE go to each campaign Facebook page and like, share (McClellan, Washington, Turpin); Twitter follow (McClellan, Washington, Turpin).
- Contribute. The links for each candidate’s ActBlue contribution page are below. Give whatever you can (McClellan, Washington, Turpin).
- Special Elections for SD9, SD22, HD85 on Tuesday, January 10, 2017.
- Voters will vote at their regular polling locations. Polls will open from 6 am – 7 pm.
- Voter registration deadline for this election is Tuesday, January 3rd by 5 pm on paper or midnight online.
- Voters can vote absentee in the special election. The deadline to apply to vote absentee by mail is Tuesday, January 3rd. Voters should contact their local registrar for more information.
- Where Do I Vote, click here
- Voter Registration, click here
- Democratic Party of Virginia (DPVA) information, voter protection, @DPVAvote, www.GoVoteVA.com, 1-844-4VA-VOTE
SD9 – JENNIFER McCLELLAN
ABOUT OUR CANDIDATE
Delegate Jennifer McClellan is the Democratic candidate in Senate District 9, vacated by Donald McEachin who won election to the U.S. House of Representatives. McClellan faces Independent Corey Fauconier, and no Republican opposition. Jennifer Leigh “Jenn” McClellan 2006 has been a member of the Virginia House of Delegates since 2006 (71st district, made up of parts of the city of Richmond and Henrico County).
DISTRICT INFORMATION SD9
Field Director: Tyrone Williams, email@example.com, (804) 482-0714
SD22 – RYANT WASHINGTON
This seat would be a pick up and give Democrats the 20th seat in the Senate – making a tie in the Senate (40 seats in the Virginia Senate) allowing our Democratic Lt. Gov. Northam to cast tie-breaking votes. Ryant has two opponents, a Libertarian and Republican – he can win.
ABOUT OUR CANDIDATE
Ryant Washington is the Democratic candidate in Senate District 22, vacated by a Republican Tom Garret who won a seat in Congress. Ryant is a former state trooper who spent fourteen years serving his community as Fluvanna County Sheriff; his life and career are dedicated to keeping our neighborhoods safe. He has seen people at their best and he has seen them at their worst, which is why he knows that education is the key to helping people get good paying jobs which in turn means they can lead better more hopeful lives. And families with hope and stable jobs are when they are their strongest and at their best. Simply put, it’s all connected: (1) education, (2) jobs, and (3) public safety. And those will be Ryant’s 3 priorities in the senate.
He has the strong support and backing of Governor McAuliffe, Lieutenant Governor Northam, Attorney General Herring and the Senate Democratic Caucus and DPVA.
Ryant has 2 opponents, a Republican and an Independent. Mark Peake is a Virginia Republican Party insider who believes that the biggest issue facing the 22nd district is “free markets” – not growing the economy or attracting good paying jobs. Neither he nor Joe Hines, who calls himself an independent conservative, have ever served their communities with the passion or commitment that Ryant’s entire career demonstrates.
- BlueVirginia: “Want to Tell Trump Where to Shove It? Help Elect Ryant Washington on 1/10 and Take Back the Va. Senate for Dems!” https://goo.gl/bBsYjV
DISTRICT INFORMATION SD22
This open seat stretches from Richmond’s western suburbs to the Shenandoah mountains (Lynchburg City; Amherst, Fluvanna, Goochland, Prince Edward, Appomattox, Buckingham, Cumberland and Louisa Counties).
Campaign Manager: Jaden Slagle, firstname.lastname@example.org, (214) 578-3089
- Campaign Offices
- Lynchburg – 915 Main Street, in the Galleria, on the 3rd Floor
- Fluvanna – 265 Turkeysag Trail #106, Palmyra, VA 22963
HD85 – CHERYL TURPIN
ABOUT OUR CANDIDATE
Cheryl is seeking to fill the vacancy of Republican Scott Taylor, who has been elected to Congress (CD2). The 85th House District is the most competitive special election of the new year and is our best hope in sending another Democrat to Richmond.
In the most recent election, Hillary Clinton lost by less than 1% to Donald Trump in our toss-up district. With Cheryl’s deep roots in the district as a long-term public school educator and a community organizer, she is in a unique position to energize the Democratic base pushing her to victory and a positive change for our district.
Cheryl grew up in an active military family. After serving in the Army for 23 years, Cheryl’s father retired from service and her family resided in Fairfax County, Virginia. For the past 18 years, Cheryl’s family has called the Kempsville area of Virginia Beach home. Her two adult daughters, Ellison and Patricia, attended Virginia Beach City Public Schools and are graduates of Kempsville High School. Cheryl received a Bachelor of Science Degree in Education from Virginia Commonwealth University and earned a Master of Education Degree from the University of Virginia. She has invested herself and her appreciation of education into the lives of local students for the past 24 years while serving as a High School Science teacher. For the past 8 years, she has taught Advanced Placement Environmental Science.
DISTRICT INFORMATION HD85
Campaign manager: Joe Diver, email@example.com, (916) 300-5253
GOTV Staging locations
- 4501 St John Ct, Virginia Beach, VA 23455
- 1232 Glen Lochen Dr, Virginia Beach, VA 23464